SOUTHWEST – ASSOCIATION FOR SCIENCE TEACHER EDUCATION
Adopted on February 28, 2003
Revised version voted on at 2011 meeting
The mission of the SW-ASTE is to promote leadership in and support for those involved in the development of teachers of science.
Article I. The Organization
Section A. Name
The name of this organization shall be The Southwest – Association for Science Teacher Education (SW-ASTE).
Section B. Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be to foster improvement in the education of teachers of science in the SW-ASTE and to disseminate information regarding activities related thereto.
Section C. Membership
The individual members of the SW-ASTE shall consist of persons concerned with the education of teachers of science from the states of Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah who have paid their regional membership dues. Members from outside the region will be accepted.
Section D. National Constitution
This organization shall be a regional division of the Association of Science Teacher Education (ASTE) and shall be governed in accordance with the national by-laws as applicable. Applicable changes to the parent association by-laws will be incorporated into SW-ASTE bylaws as appropriate.
Article II. Officers
Section A. Officers
The officers of the SW-ASTE shall consist of President, President-Elect, Past President, Regional Director (3 years), Secretary (3 years), and Treasurer (3 years).
Section B. Terms of Office
- The terms of the President, President-Elect, and Past President shall be for one (1) year each. The term of President and Past President begin with the Annual Business Meeting held at the Annual Conference and continue until the end of the next Annual Board Meeting.
- The term of the Regional Director, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be for three (3) years beginning with the close of the regular Annual Conference of the year in which he/she is elected.
Section C. Election of Officers
- A slate of nominees will be presented to the membership at the Annual Conference. Additional nominations from the membership will be accepted.
- Voting will occur at the Annual Business Meeting and will be elected by a majority of the membership attending the annual meeting.
Section D. Succession of Officers
If any officer is unable to fulfill their duties, a replacement will be appointed by the Board.
Article III. Duties of the Officers
Section A. President
- The President shall be the Executive Officer of the SW-ASTE and as such shall carry out the policies of the Association.
- The President shall preside at all board meetings and annual meetings of the SW-ASTE.
Section B. President-Elect
- The President-Elect shall serve in the absence of the President at any meetings, and assume such other duties as assigned by the President.
- The program of the Annual Conference shall be the responsibility of the President-Elect.
Section C. Past President
The Past President shall serve on the Board for one year.
Section D. Secretary
This Secretary shall be charged with the responsibility of maintaining all permanent records of the SW-ASTE, maintain an email list and website and any other duties assigned to him/her by the Board.
Section E. Treasurer
The Treasurer shall make all disbursements as authorized by the Board and keep a record of all receipts and disbursements. He/She shall make a financial report to the membership at the annual business meeting.
Section F. Regional Director
The Regional Director shall serve on the ASTE committee of regional directors and shall perform duties on that committee as described by the ASTE By-Laws.
Article IV. Board of Directors
Section A. Board of Directors
- Voting members on the Board of Directors of the SW-ASTE shall be composed of the six (6) elected officers: President, immediate Past President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Regional Director.
- It shall be the responsibility of the SW-ASTE Board to make all decisions regarding the SW-ASTE during their term on the Board and to promote the purpose of the Association.
Section B. Quorum
A quorum for a meeting of the SW-ASTE Board of Directors shall be a majority of the voting members of the Board.
Article V. Finances and Dues
Section A. Dues
The annual dues of the SW-ASTE shall be included in the Annual Conference costs. Members not attending may pay dues directly to the Treasurer.
Section B. Accounts
All money collected as part of the Treasury of SW-ASTE shall be deposited and accounted for by the Treasurer at each Annual Board Meeting and Business Meeting.
Article VI. Meetings
Section A. Quorum
A quorum for all business meetings of the SW-ASTE shall be ten members.
Section B. Regular Meetings
- An Annual Conference will be held each year by the SW-ASTE.
- An Annual Board Meeting will be held in conjunction with each Annual Conference to complete business for the year and prepare an agenda for the Annual Business Meeting.
- An Annual Business Meeting will be held at each Annual Conference for attendance by the full membership of SW-ASTE. The President-Elect, with advice from the Board of Directors, sets the agenda for and presides at the Annual Business Meeting.
Article VII. Revisions and Amendments
Section A. Revisions
- Revisions to By-Laws become effective with a 2/3 vote of the membership.
- Non-substantive changes in the by-laws may be made by the Board without membership approval.
Section B. Amendments
Amendments to these By-Laws may be submitted by petition of five active members and adopted by the following procedure:
- The proposed amendment shall be submitted to the Board of Directors for its consideration. If approved by the Board, the amendment will then be placed on the ballot at the Annual Conference.
- The amendment must be approved by a majority vote of those members present at the Annual Business Meeting of the SW-ASTE.
Article VIII. Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rule of Order, Revised, shall govern the order of all business meetings of the Association where applicable.